Friday, November 16, 2007

It's been a long time...



It's been a while since my last post.

It was also, until recently, a while since I took a single day off of Second Life.

I had to travel for business. I realized, as I logged off the night before my trip, that the next few days would be my first absence from Second Life in over five months.

Five Months.

150 Days.

At least, two hours online every day for 150 days. Sometimes, as much as 12 hours.

Being away from Second Life, just for a couple of days, was liberating. I had known that immersion was taking its toll. I was taking things in my Second Life as seriously as I was taking things in my First Life. Don't get me wrong... I value my online friends... I really do. Second Life is more than a game, it is a social experience.. so you should value the people you meet there.. and you should appreciate the wonders of sharing of yourself with others from far-flung places. It truly is a wonderful "place" to be.

But there's no place like home.

A few days away, and the fog has lifted. But evil lurks in Blacklist. A Hellmouth has appeared in the city. Walk near it, and zombies spawn from it, and chase you down. They are merciless in their pursuit. The pic above shows Hyang and myself, taking a breath after a wave of attacks... standing at the ready for more. One thing we didn't anticipate, however: Zombie attacks apparently destabilize the sim. A prolonged attack can result in lag, disorientation, and, in some cases, crashing and relogging, fully armed, in a welcome area.. covered in blood.

You've been warned.

No comments: