Friday, November 16, 2007

Windlight, revisited



I remember trying out Windlight the last time it was available, and being less than impressed. Sure, the atmospheric effects were cool, but my FPS took a dive. Most disheartening, though, was the harshness of light on an avatar's skin.

For those who spend thousands of Linden on skins and shapes, and clothes, etc... trying to look their best in Second Life, for whatever reason... the early version of Windlight was evil. There was no way for an avatar to look good, with existing skins. Everything was just harsh.

The new Windlight viewer is available. They have made many improvements to the graphical presentation... water is so real, you think you can reach out to it and touch it. Atmo is wonderful... control over the atmosphere is also nice.

I just had to go to Surfline Rezzable, strip off my clothes and go for a dip in the luscious water, under warm, blue skies.

The harshness of light on skin still needs a little work... but there is improvement.

Performance on my MacBook Pro leaves a bit to be desired, however. Low framerates, and slow rezzing were issues in my hour or so online with it. Bugs abound, it seems, as well. But, this is First Look. I imagine it will get better.

It *is* beautiful. Give it a look. Then go back to your regular viewer until its ready for prime-time.

No comments: