Thursday, October 4, 2007

Living, Loving, Leaving, and Lost in Thoughts

In the last week, I've had three people who I'm close to come to me and say, "I need to take a break from Second Life". Two of these friends said this at the same time.. one in IMs while I was already talking to another.

I don't know how to react. I'm numb.

On one hand, I understand these thoughts. I've entertained them myself, from time to time. I would never talk anyone out of the decision to leave. It is their decision to make, and theirs alone. On the other hand, I'm selfish. These are friends who I've bonded with, shared fun times with, shared some love with. Losing them would create a dark void in my Second Life. I don't come here to see places... I come to be with friends and share good times.

In real life, we're more apt to face our demons. In Second Life, it's easy to run away. You can hide from your problems rather than face them, by simply not logging in. Running away, however, merely shifts the burden to those who are left behind... leaving them wondering...

I've tried to find balance... moderation is the key. Living your First Life to its fullest is the number one priority. But Second Life, and the bonds that are forged there, should not be so easily dismissed. The connections are real, and they are unlike anything you find in real life. They exist on an entirely non-physical level... they are sometimes ephemeral, sometimes long-lasting. But they can seem as compelling and as raw as real life.

No comments: